As soon as a new update is available, you will receive a notification email from ThemeForest. Before updating Houzez, it’s wise to prepare everything carefully to prevent any loss of settings or customization you have made to your site.
Below is our handy checklist we recommend you go through before attempting the theme update.
- Always check our update notes
- Always backup the files and the database, in case something goes wrong with the server, use the backup to revert to the previous state.
- Delete the old copy of the theme inside the WordPress themes folder
- Upload and activate the new theme version
- Reset the cache after you update
How to update the theme via WordPress
Upgrading your website’s theme to the latest version is highly recommended, not only because it ensures you have all the latest features, but you’ll also be up-to-date with any security patches.
Step 1- Update the theme
- Deactivate the current Houzez theme from the Appearance > Themes section
- Activating a different theme.
- Once you activate a different theme, delete the Houzez theme. Don’t worry, your content will not be lost.
- Get the “Houzez.zip” file from your Themeforest download section (Installable WordPress file only). If you downloaded the “All Files & Documentation” from Themeforest, then you need to unzip the archive file you received, the Houzez.zip will be inside it.
- Go to Appearance > Themes, choose Add New Theme, Upload the Houzez.zip” and click on the “Install Now” button.
- After your upload is finished choose Activate the theme.
- Update all plugins
Step 2 – Update all plugins
When you update Houzez, you will receive a WordPress notification message letting you know to update the required and recommended plugins. Please follow the on-screen prompts to update as displayed in the image below.
Please note: Once the update has been completed clear your cache completely from browser and cache plugins if you are using one of them. Reload your website and check if everything is working correctly.
How to update the theme via FTP
- Place your site in maintenance mode, for this, you could use a plugin (ex. Ultimate Maintenance Mode, WP Maintenance Mode, … etc.)
- Go to “yoursite/wp-content/themes” folder location and backup your Houzez theme folder by saving it to your computer, or you can choose to simply delete it. Your content will not be lost but note that if you have modifications to the theme code they will be lost. You have to reapply them after the update is over.
- Connect to your FTP account using Filezilla.
- Inside Filezilla navigate to the WordPress theme directory “yoursite/wp-content/themes”.
- Retrieve the Houzez.zip file from your recently ThemeForest download and extract the file to get the updated Houzez theme folder.
- Drag and drop the new Houzez theme folder into “yoursite/wp-content/themes” and overwrite the existing files.
How to update from old versions to Houzez v1.8.0
IMPORTANT: Before proceeding with this update, make sure you have a complete backup of your site and database. This way you will be able to get back to the latest version of your site in case something unexpected happens.
The database update is required
If your Houzez version is before the v.1.6.0 is mandatory to update the database. A WordPress notification message letting you know the database needs to be updated. You just need to click on the link inside the notification message and you are all set.
The child theme doesn’t need to be updated.